Summer Entertaining || Tents, Hot Dogs and Guacamole

July 01, 2014



During the summer months we love having friends and their kids over for easy and fun meals.  We love doing casual family gatherings where the kids can enjoy the pool while we adults relax and catch-up.  Nothing screams summer like grilled hot dogs and fries do for occasions like this.  Hebrew National hot dogs are where are loyalties lie when it comes to franks and the ones we use to treat our friends because quality ingredients are very important to us.  Plus they are just so delicious. 

Let me tell you what we did for this occasion.  First, to add some ambiance for the kids during this gathering, my daughter and I built a tent between two trees for the kids to enjoy.  This would definitely increase the kid excitement factor, I mean what kid doesn't love a secret hangout where no adults are allowed? Here is how we did it-

We used three large tablecloths (two for the sides and one for the floor).  We tied the corners of the tablecloths to the tree branches at the top with some yarn.  We then tied the bottom corners of the tablecloths to some sticks we found on our yard and used them as stakes to open up the bottom of the tent.  My daughter decorated it with some hanging flowers and some paper lanterns she had done at a friend's house (DIY to come later).  Easy, right?  And wow did the kids love it! 


We served our young guests food baskets with our all-time favorite Hebrew National hot dogs in buns with a side of french fries.    Add a little Gulden's mustard and Hunt's ketchup and you have yourself a taste of summer.


The set-up for the kids was pretty sweet, but the adults also had a great meal.  Instead of french fries for the adults we offered homemade guacamole and chips.  I know guacamole is not the first thing that comes to mind when you think of eating a hot dog, but everyone raved about the combination.  They thought it was clever and unexpected.  Here is my super easy Guacamole recipe-


Easiest Guacamole-  (for 4 people)

Ingredients:

4 avocados 
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
Juice of 1/2 a lime
regular salt to taste
black salt to garnish

Directions:

Mash up the avocados with a fork. Add in the chopped cilantro and onion. Add the regular salt and squeeze in the juice of half a lime.  Mix it up a bit more. Garnish with the black salt and you are done!!


So you see how easy it is to host a casual afternoon with friends?  Just grill up some quality Hebrew National franks that everyone will love (adults and kids alike), create special space solely for the kids, and surprise your friends with an unexpected food pairing to keep them entertained.  What are some of your favorite tips for casual entertaining?

http://bit.ly/1z39LPj

"With grilling season upon us, everyone is craving an all-American hot dog. What makes a kosher hot dog different? It's all about what makes the cut ( and what doesn't).  Hebrew National is choosy about what goes into their franks - only 100% pure kosher beef so you know what you're getting and they taste great."

Disclosure: Compensation was provided by Hebrew National via Mode Media.  The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Hebrew National."

[ all photos by AC]

You Might Also Like

17 comments

  1. such a fun treat for the kids ~ glamping!!! and your easy guac recipe looks yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! I love this little cozy spot you made :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE this!! I cannot wait to have my backyard back to normal so I can create a space like this for my boys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks absolutely delicious in every way!!

    x Lily
    http://whilemyboyfriendsaway.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super fun!! I love how you decorated with the little tent. :) And the menu is perfect for summer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a cute idea! I love the little tent...it looks so whimsical!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I could be good friends with your daughter. I still love tents and tepees at my age! Hot dogs served on an elephant? I'm in.....
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are too freaking cute. Are you going to make hot dogs for me when I move?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an adorable little tent! This is making me hungry too!! So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That tent is so so cute Albert!! Want to hang out in there!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Do you even know how much I LOVE hot dogs??? I even ate them in Italy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Adorable! No doubt the kids had a great time in the tent! I will definitely try your guacamole recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stop. This is adorable. I love the elephant table with the acrylic tray!
    www.designsbykaty.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. The tent is absolutely adorable. My daughter would love it

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a fun little set up, I would have loved this as a kid:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! This looks like so much fun! What gorgeous photos!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The tent! The elephant!! Hot dogs and fries never looked so good!!

    ReplyDelete

You make my day with your comments! Thank you!!

Subscribe